( Clyde's G-G-G-G-G-Grandfather )
John LOONEY Sr. Born: 1732 probably in PA Died: 1817 in Botetourt Co., VA Father: Robert Looney Mother: Elizabeth Looney
John married Ester RENFRO Born: 1739 or 1740 Died: 26 February 1821 in Sinking Creek, VA. Father: Stephen Renfro Sr Mother:
Ester is said to have been in 1739 or 1740 the first white female born west of the James River in that part of Virginia that later was to become part of Botetourt County. (Nat’l Intelligencer, Wash., D.C., 12 July 1821.)
John and Ester had the following children:
- John Looney b. ca 1757.
- Stephen Looney b. ca 1758.
- Robert Looney b. ca 1760.
- Peter Looney b. ca 1761.
- Jane Looney b. ca 1763.
- Mary Looney b. ca 1766. Probably the Mary Looney who m. Henry Cartill 4 July 1786. Bond signed by John Looney as witness and surety. (Botetourt Mar. Reg., 30.)
- Martha Looney b. ca 1769. Married a Cuningham.
- Possibly a child b. 1773.
- John Looney Jr. b. 1784 Augusta County Va. He is presumed to be born after the first John died. ( our branch )
At the 1810 census of Botetourt County John Looney appears, over 45, with female over 45, living with Robert Looney, 16 to 26, female 16 to 26, and no children; the name of head of household being listed "Jno. & Robt. Looney." On 23 March 1816 John Looney and Esther his wife deeded 315 acres to Robert Looney for 800 pounds. (Botetourt Co. Deeds 12, 98.) On 13 April 1817 a tract of John Looney’s in Botetourt County was divided between his sons David Looney (85 acres) and Joseph Looney (82 acres). (Survey Book 3, 407.) John’s son Robert sold his land and removed from Botetourt at about this time. The name of John Looney is not found in the 1820 census of Botetourt County.
Esther, widow of John Looney, died on 26 February 1821 in her 82d year, on Sinking Creek, Virginia. (Natl. Intellingencer, Washington, D.C., 12 July 1821.)
If you have additional information or find a correction that needs to be made, PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT.